Spotted in London. Two cycle paths next to each other.
Take your choice. Share the pavement with pedestrians and dogs on leads, or share the road with taxis and lorries passing close by.
Neither seem particularly appealing from this photo.
I tend to avoid shared cycle paths on pavements because
- I like to cycle relatively fast. On shared pavements, you feel out of place going above 10 mph.
- You often get pedestrians in the middle of shared pavements, and they rarely have a sympathetic view of cyclists.
- The path on the left looks a little dodgy in the wet navigating the change of surfaces. At least they haven’t built a lampost in the middle of the cycle path.
- Crap Cycle Lanes at Amazon.uk
- The main reason I avoid shared cycle paths are all the junctions which go through the cycle path. I’d never trust a vehicle to respect the cycle path. So effectively you have to give way all the time. You can see what I mean on Botley Road.